Specialists in Family Law

The Law Store specialises in Family Law and all issues associated with it, including Separation, Care of Children, Relationship Property disputes, the impact of new partners (Contracting Out Agreements) and Property Agreements.

Our other range of services include the Selling and Purchasing of Residential and Commercial Properties, Administration of Estates, Setting up Trusts, Refinancing, Employment and Immigration issues.

Our Services

Family Law


Separation is never easy, especially when it leaves behind unresolved practical issues such as, who will get the family home, car or property generally. The situation becomes even more complicated when children are involved. This is where an experienced, quality lawyer from The Law Store will be of great assistance to you. We listen to your individual needs.  

No matter how complicated your issues may seem, we can help. Rest assured you will be in capable hands.



When partners with children separate, there are some important issues to be decided, such as:

- Who is going to be the primary carer of the children? 
- How will financial support continue for the children? 
- How are guardianship matters going to be resolved? 

Guardianship matters include where your child lives, where they go to school, medical treatment and other big decisions.

Parenting agreements or parenting orders can help set out these arrangements. If both you and your partner agree on these issues, the lawyers at The Law Store can prepare a parenting agreement or apply to the Family Court to make a parenting order. Sometimes, it is difficult for agreement to be reached. The Law Store can help you through the process whether or not you are able to communicate or agree with your ex-partner.


Domestic Violence

If you or someone you know is at immediate risk, call 111. You can also call the Women’s Refuge crisis line on 0800 733 843

Domestic violence includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, and psychological and emotional abuse (which includes making threats, damaging your property, intimidation, harassment and controlling behaviour). It also includes economic abuse, which means restricting or controlling your money and how you spend it. All of these are forms of abuse. If your partner, ex-partner, or anyone else you live with or used to live with is behaving like this, there are ways you can get help.

The Law Store can talk to you through these issues and can also help you apply for a protection order. A protection order can be enforced by the police and can help prevent you or your children from being harmed.

If the matter involves domestic violence, you may not have to pay lawyer fees.

There may be costs relating to parenting and other matters. Call us on 04 237 5800 to ask about costs.

We advise you that there may be a $50 fee to apply for Legal Aid. See below for extra information regarding Legal Aid.


Oranga Tamariki

(The Ministry for Vulnerable Children)

Formerly CYPS, Oranga Tamariki (The Ministry for Vulnerable Children) deals with care and protection issues relating to children. The Law Store is experienced in dealing with matters concerning The Ministry’s involvement, and can represent you in your dealings with The Ministry.


Legal Aid

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may be able to get one through Legal Aid. The Law Store lawyers are all available through Legal Aid, and can help you apply if you come to see us. Call us on 04 237 5800 to talk to us about Legal Aid and whether or not you may be eligible. 

We advise that there is always a $50 fee to apply for legal aid.

Property Law

Our role is to ensure that your interests are protected and that any property transaction be as quick and efficient as possible. We will provide you with independent legal advice and help throughout the process.

Buying and selling property

If you are buying or selling a house. We understand sale and purchase agreements and we are used to the conveyancing work associated with these transactions.

We can also assist you to refinance your property either to provide a mortgage to a new bank and/or vary the existing mortgage to your bank or lending organization. We ensure your interests are protected in all matters relating to settlement.


Personal guarantees

Often when borrowing money, the lender may seek a personal guarantee from a third party in the event of default by the borrower. These people are called guarantors. Guarantors agree to repay a debt another person incurred if that person fails to meet the terms of the guarantee. If the person goes bankrupt or cant pay their debts, the creditor will seek to recover what is owed from the guarantor. Professional advice should be sought as to the risks and implications of any default on the guarantor.

The Range of services provided by The Law Store include: 

Sale & Purchase of Residential/ Commercial PropertiesLease of Residential/ Commercial PropertiesPreparation/ Advice for Sale & Purchase AgreementsPre-purchase Advice (Title searches, checking for any emcumbrances on the title and carrying out LIM reports (Land Information Memorandum).Purchase Occupation Licences/ Unit Titles for retirees.Property Sharing AgreementsRefinanceMortgage VariationsTransfer of Title/ Property between parties  GiftingTrust Property MattersRectification of incorrect titlesFirst Home Buyer Kiwisaver withdrawals from Kiwisaver SchemesFirst Home Deposit Subsidies from Housing NZ Corporation


Wills & Estates

A will is one of the most important documents you will EVER make - so it's best when you do it, you do it right. A will is a legal document that ensures that your assets, property and estate are distributed in accordance to your wishes after you have passed. It dictates who is to receive your property at your death and appoints a legal representative to carry out your wishes as stated in your will. Without a valid legally enforceable will, a court may decide how and to whom your assets will be distributed. Thus, if you want protection of you and your loved one's interests, create a will. 


Don't do it yourself. Strict guidelines are set for the making and execution of a will and if not adhered to, a court may deem it invalid. Therefore, it is in your best interests that you receive professional legal advice when creating a will. 


Enduring Powers of Attorney for personal care and welfare, and property

An enduring power of attorney is a legal document entrusting an appointed person or people to make decisions for you in regards to personal or financial matters in an emergency or where you are incapable of making these decisions yourself.

If you would like more information regarding this please do not hestitate to call us today.


Immigration related matters can be complex and confusing to many people. We recognise that immigration to New Zealand is highly desirable but can often be a stressful, complex and time consuming process. The stakes are high and the cost of failure could be severe. As such our immigration services need to be treated with the highest priority and the greatest of care.


The Law Store offers the highest level of advice and expertise in the following areas:

* Assessment to ensure that the goal, be it a visitor visa or residence, is realistic and achievable;
* Representation for and assistance with applications for all visa categories;
* Immigration assistance for employers with recruitment and to protect against breaches of the Immigration Act;
* Long Term Business Visa applications including assistance in business plans and associated legal, taxation and regulatory work relating to the  immigrants business;
* Representation and assistance for those facing removal action
* Advice in relation to sponsorship obligations;
* Assistance where needed in cases involving medical or character issues.


Early intervention to identify medical conditions or criminal convictions, or visa officers misapplying the instructions.Quick intervention can often save an application from being declined.

Mediation and Conciliation

Conciliation and mediation are two terms used to describe a way of managing and resolving a conflict, with the people concerned themselves finding a workable solution, as an alternative dispute resolution process, rather than resorting to using the court process.


In both cases, a neutral third party such as a lawyer or qualified mediator, seeks to help two or more opposing sides find a suitable resolution to a conflict. In some cases, the differences between conciliation and mediation definitions will determine how that neutral third-party acts.


The mediator will work with the parties who are in conflict or dispute to reach consensus on issues and build trust in the mediation process. Participating in the mediation or conciliation process is completely voluntary. The parties must each agree to participate in the process.


The mediator will take care to ensure that any mediation meeting will involve all the parties concerned, including, if desirable, wider family and whanau; the venue is neutral but somewhere where all parties are comfortable, and feel safe; and ample time is available to ensure the matter can be discussed in an open andnon rushed environment.


Often food and drink may be available to provide an opportunity for a break, when everyone can relax and be rested before re-engaging in the meeting.The mediator will help the parties set the agenda for the meeting, and all parties will be given the opportunity to speak if they want to, ideally without interruption or an argument breaking out.


The mediator will look for common interests and ground of agreement, and build from there.Often mediation is used as a way of resolving family issues, involving children. In family disputes over children, the mediator will ask all the adults present to remember that the welfare and best interests of the child is the most important issue, and they will be encouraged to focus on finding a workable solution or resolution rather than just restating entrenched positions. The view of the children may also be given, either directly or by lawyer advocate who has been appointed to represent them.